Sunday, April 7, 2013

Harold and Maude


            Just get pass the first twenty minutes and it is an enjoyable movie. The beginning and throughout the movie has dark humor. At first I did not know if I was suppose to laugh at some of the jokes about Harold’s attempts of suicide. His mother showed no interest in his actions and asks him, “I suppose you think that is very funny, Harold.” It felt uneasy to laugh until Maude entered the picture. Maude is an interesting character that lives every day as her last. Although, I still do not see why she killed herself. But when Maude came into the picture she seemed to brighten everything up. It was no longer a dark and uncomfortable but lively.

            As the mood lifted in the humor became enjoyable. It did not seem so dark as it was in the first twenty minutes. Harold’s mom setting him up on blind dates was probably my favorite scenes to watch. But even then laughing seemed rude and after I laughed I felt like it was wrong to laugh. The humor is completely different from previous movies we have viewed but it works.  If it had no humor at all, it would have been difficult to watch. I am surprised that I actually did enjoy the movie.
           
            

2 comments:

  1. You see i think the first part of the movie was the funniest. I was always looking for him to kill himself in new ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Bryn, yes it was dark humor but I couldn't help but laugh at the elaborate ways he fantasized dying. I think the only reason Harold hasn't really killed himself is because the feeling he feels when he perfects these death fantasies.

    ReplyDelete