Sunday, April 14, 2013

I Can't Fit into this Brazier I Mean Society!


So, I had never heard of The Birdcage, never knew Robin Williams was in it or what it was about.  When Joe said there was cross-dressing in it I had no idea it was to this extent.  But as I was watching the movie, at first I was a little freaked out; asking myself if this is for real.  As I continued watching I realized what the story was about and just the situational humor seemed extremely hilarious.  “Lines such as “Don’t look at me I’m Hideous!!! You’re not a woman, OHPP you bastard!”....Just because you’re 22 and Hung”… “Get the GODDAMN pinky down!”… “So this is Hell, and there is a crucifix?”… “Can I get somebody some soup!?”  All of these lines and countless others I was cracking up laughing.  A plain suit with pink socks is absolutely priceless.  One of the themes I was seeing that just really got me thinking was just how ridiculous certain ideals of conservatives are.  The movie really made fun of how exaggerated certain people can act around gays or simply people that are unlike them.  For instance, when the governor learned that the good housewife that met every expectation he could have had, only to learn that this housewife was actually man appalled him and he could no longer accept his view of this person.  Another theme being the amount of effort people put into trying to fit in with society and to please others.  The movie had excellent acting from all the different actors, actress, or mixes of the two.  The idea of the movie was a very original way of approaching the way society has come to view people that are different from them or the ideal of what society has deemed as normal.  For instance, the movie had an excellent way of showing how people not in our society or particular culture try to see us.  For instance, I thought it was so funny how they would add Playboys to the bathroom and asking… well isn’t that what they like…” Or removing everything and adding simplistic symbols such as a mounted moose head or giant crucifix were all things that I found funny.   Overall the unique idea of the movie matched with the incredible acting from all the characters come together to create a movie that is very enjoyable to watch with lots of laughs and creates an excellent story and message to get across to the audience.   

No comments:

Post a Comment