Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Modern Times, Charlie Chaplin (1936)

Modern Times by Charlie Chaplin (1936) was nuts to say the least.  I never knew a movie from that long ago could make me laugh out loud as much as I did.  This film was the first movie that I have ever seen that was mostly non-dialectic.  One of the main reasons I was laughing so much was because Chaplin's character reminded me of one of my friends, and all the funny little things they do.
I was very eager to view this film when we got our syllabus.  The oldest movie I have seen is probably from the 1980's.  So I was really pumped to see what films were like back then.  The opening seen with the sheep herd kind of depicted the whole movie.  The sheep represented the working life back then how herds of people would go work in factories.  One of the other factors of the film that was very intriguing was the presented issues of the film.  This issues portrayed in this 1936 film are still present to this day.  One of my favorite parts of the movie was towards the beginning when Chaplin was on the assembly line and things kept bothering him while he was working such like the bee.  He couldn't lose focus for a second because the conveyor belt was moving so fast.  Also, when his replacement relived him he was still doing the motion of the job.  It amazed me how such little talking and mostly humorous actions could make me laugh so hard.  That just goes to show that humor isn't just telling a joke or a funny comment.  Humor can be acted through little actions that most will find funny.

All in all, I really enjoyed Modern Times.  I got a good laugh for about 80 min.  I even watched it a second time with my friend and mom.  They both enjoyed it very much so.  I really hope the films are as funny as this one was, if not funnier.  I am really looking forward to viewing the rest of the chosen films.    

No comments:

Post a Comment