Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Spoils of Success



          Just by looking at the cover of the “Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter” DVD I knew it was going to be interesting.  Over all I enjoyed this film much more than “Modern Times”. It’s not because “Modern Times” was bad in any way, I just felt like this one was more relatable. The way the movie opened with all the advertisement was one of my favorite parts in the entire film. The car that was supposed to be such a great deal, but was falling apart, and the hair serum that was supposed to make your hair super soft and silky made it hard and crunchy. The advertisements were saying good things about the products, but the audience could clearly see they did not do what they were supposed to be doing. It really made me laugh because they are just like some of the commercials we still have today. Hopefully nobody believes that shaking a mystery powder on their food is magically going to make you lose weight without having to do anything but eat their favorite food.  The advertisements are completely false, but consumers will buy anything if they think they will look like the models on TV.
            Another thing I noticed about the film is how the idea of stepping on people and doing anything to become successful is still very true today. Jenny went to extreme lengths to fight for Rocks attention once Rita had decided to use him for revenge on her old boyfriend. Rock knew what he was doing to Jenny but went along with it because he knew Rita would sign the contract and he would become vice president of the company. Rock did not stop until he reached the giant office with his own personal bathroom. Rock eventually became what he considered to be successful.
            One of the only things I did not like about the movie what how stereotyped Rita was. Yes, I understand she is a blonde movie star but really I felt like it was too much. The little noise she made throughout the movie started to drive me crazy. Maybe it’s because I’m a girl but I did not find it attractive at all. If guys are willing to deal with a girl making a silly noise for attention they don’t seem to be looking for a girl with anything more than a nice figure and bleach blonde hair.
            Over all I felt like the movie was funny and correctly portrayed what can happen to someone who is suddenly thrown into a large amount of power. Rock chose to have success over having is fiance Jenny. He got what he wanted at the beginning of the movie, but I am not fully convinced he was completely satisfied at the end of the film. Success can very easily spoil someone who has strived for it their entire life. They can forget what is important in life and become just like the high powered executive they disliked when they first started out.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely about Rita! She was completely stereotyped and was an uninteresting character. She did not really change at all, but remained annoying during the entire film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the begging was funny too! It is sad how well it coincides with the advertisements we see today. I also agree that Rita was excessively annoying. I think to a certain degree the noises she makes are meant to be sexual and alluring but to a normal person they are incredibly obnoxious and almost painful!

    ReplyDelete