Sunday, January 27, 2013

Spoiled On The Rocks


First off… I am sorry this is late; my Internet had been disconnected. 
           
            At first I was unsure what to think of “Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?” but then I as the movie continued, I understood why they started the movie the way they did.  What I mean is how they had all the bad TV commercials at the start of the movie.  But then when I learned the job of the main character is a writer of TV commercials himself it all made sense.  The entire movie is a play on the efforts of companies and how they would go to ridiculous lengths to simply better advertise their products with little regard to how important the actual product is.  Companies would spend immense amounts of money to try to sell their product, even if the product itself was rather inexpensive. 
            I found myself laughing much more at things that could go un-noticed but the satirical humor is put in so naturally that it can be undetected if you aren’t watching for it.  For instance there was a psychiatrist joke that there were none in Hollywood because they are all busy with producers.  It isn’t really that easy to catch, but if you do, it is a good little chuckle.  Other more blatant humor clips that caught me were the girls climbing out of the sewers when Rockwell was running from the fan-girls, or when Rockwell is wearing the oversized suit and elevated shoes, it was so ridiculous I really did laugh.  Other things such as the visual cues that were really to symbolize something else such as the popcorn exploding in Rock’s pocket as he hugged Rita, or the pipe lighting itself as Rock hugged his fiancé, I found to be comical in their own manner even with their ridiculous timing.  Overall I found the movie very comical and well done, I’m not sure if I would ever watch it again however, I am glad to have learned about it.  
            One thing about the movie that kept driving me insane that I almost muted it was Rita Marlowe’s high-pitched squeal was absolutely annoying!  I will tell you I didn’t actually mute it but it was quite annoying.  To continue on, another instance that I found funny was when he got promoted to President of the company and he was dancing around in his office and making faces and acting like a child.  I found myself relating to his reaction, I might not dance around however when I find myself celebrating in ridiculous manners. 
            The ending of  “Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter” was in my mind excellent because everyone was truly successful because they ended up doing what the wanted and loved, not what was necessarily expected.  Giving a funny movie a meaningful ending was a bit unexpected but I thought it worked very well.  I did find it a little weird that Marlow’s true love was some old guy, I wasn’t really sure why but his sense of humor did make it a little easier to watch and accept.   

3 comments:

  1. Maybe check out who that "old guy" was...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the muting. My 8 year old son watched with me and began covering his ears whenever she showed up on screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off i wont take away points for it being late! second i totally agree with you on the ending it was pretty great

    ReplyDelete