Sunday, March 24, 2013

Never Been Thawed


Never Been Thawed is a very strange movie. I neither truly liked it nor disliked it and I don’t think that it was as black and white as everyone seemed to make it. I felt that it was the most accurate portrayal of life that we have seen, in movies, so far this semester.

This was not how I thought the movie would be. I was expecting something funnier I guess. Not to say that Never Been Thawed wasn’t funny, it just didn’t have enough of the kind of humor I like. I took it as a more serious film with some humorous parts.

The movie seemed a lot more real to me. I think that the way the movie was filmed, in kind of a less professional way, and the relationships between the characters made it a whole lot more relatable.  You must have felt sorry for Al when you saw that he missed his chance with Sally and when he missed out on The Christers fame.

I noticed in certain scenes the characters were reading magazines. I also noticed that the magazines were summaries of their life. There was “Trophy Wife Magazine”, “Christian Profiteer” (Milo), and “Apathy” (Al) to name just a few. What would yours be?

Frozen entre collecting. I’ve heard of some strange collections, but this is by far the strangest. I don’t understand the allure; I mean some of the originals must be worth something, but the rest? No. I do think that this does represent some of the strange things people collect or make a hobby out of.

People do some strange things. This was exemplified in the movie with the pee bags taped to that guy’s leg (I forgot the name), the professionalizing of childhood games, and recreating the Viet Cong experience.

I don’t think I’ll ever watch this movie again. I wasn’t terrible but it’s definitely not my kind of movie. It had some funny parts but I enjoyed it for its more relatable feel.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree, this is not a movie I have any interest is seeing again, but at least I can say that I gave it a chance.

    ReplyDelete