Sunday, March 31, 2013

Young Frankenstein

I cannot count how many times I have watched Young Frankenstein on two hands.  This was one of the only movies we had at my Grandma's house growing up.  My brother, sister, and cousins watched it at least 3 times a year growing up.  I hadn't seen it in a long time though; probably 5 or 6 years ago.  But watching it this time around I realized there was a lot more to the movie than I remember as a kid. 
I love all the contrasts Mel Brooks presents to us in this film: evil/good, acceptance/rejection.  Watching it as a kid we basically used to laugh solely at the funny looking characters.  This time watching it I found myself laughing at many other parts and the true satire of the film.  This film has parts in it where most people find themselves laughing, but others would take offense.  Although this movie came out in the 1970's Brooks decided to use black and white.  I think he was trying to set the scene better and also represent older films. 
 Yes this film is a comedy, but overall it was kind of touching is some aspects.  I found myself feeling for some of them at parts in the movie.  He doesn't want to accept is infamous Grandpa's name.  So every time someone says it he pronounces it in an absurd way.  He wants to rid himself of his family connection.  Then comes along Igor.  He tells people that the correct pronunciation is eye-gore.  Igor has accepted what he has--screwed up eyes.  This is the underlying them of Young Frankenstein--accepting who you are, and what you have.  And Brooks does a superb job of portraying this through comedy.  Another theme would be identity.  Igor throughout the entire movie accepts himself for what he is.  Others in the movie, have trouble accepting their identities, and they try to change themselves. 
I think this is one of Mel Brooks best films.  Although this is a comedy, he doesn't stray to far from what he is trying to express and that topic is actually very meaningful and purposeful.  I think I enjoyed this movie more watching it as an adult.  Even though watching it as a kid all those times was great, watching it this time made me realize what it was actually signifying and I totally loved this movie even more.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about feeling sorry for or empathy towards the characters. Even though they are different from us and in a very absurd situation, many of us can still connect to the feeling of being alone or unwanted. That connection between the characters and ourselves makes the impact of messages in this movie (identity, acceptace, good vs. evil, etc.) even stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you say that this movie can be touching i totally understand. It plays a lot with problem humans face.

    ReplyDelete