Sunday, February 24, 2013

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove, well I can honestly say that it left me thinking in depth after I watched it.  I really wanted to see it again, but due to time constraints I couldn't.  I had to think for a while what was the overall theme to this movie.  I read a few articles and summaries of Dr. Strangelove to see what other people had to say.  I finally narrowed it down, and it satirizes nuclear warfare, war in general, and miscommunication.
In my opinion, Kubrick made an excellent satire of what could happen if the wrong group of people had to make some costly decisions in war.  Just like a lot of the other movies we have viewed this semester the director of this film used humor and satire to address a pretty serious topic.  Major T.J. King Kong receives word to commence "Wing Attack Plan R" which is actually dropping a nuclear bomb.  But at the Air Force no one knows of any news of America being at war.  Some of the men see this as an opportunity to face Communism head on. This is crazy on all levels, I found this as amusingly funny dark humor.  All and all this whole film was basically dark humor.  The Russians on the other hand get word of this attack.  And apparently have this new technology called the "Doomsday Machine" where it could destroy the entire world if the Soviet Union was attacked out of no where.  I think this represents how human beings have the decision do rid our earth for good.  Like, does anyone else get the notion that a single human being could end our world tomorrow with the right amount of nuclear weapons?  This movie does a superb job of portraying this idea.  With the right technology in the wrong hands, geez that could be the day.  This film was made the same year of the Cuban Missile Crisis. So with bombs and missiles fresh in people's mind Kubrick to a shot in the dark making this movie. But by using humor and satire I think this was a very well done film on all levels.
Gender roles are also represented in Dr. Strangelove, you see a military in this movie and it is run by males.  Even the doctor is male. You also see that one lady sleep with her boss.  You also see a theme of technology presented.  The American and Russian societies have different types of new technology, which is still happening to this day.        
 

No comments:

Post a Comment