Sunday, February 3, 2013

Monty Python's Life of Brian

This movie was quite funny to say the least, not to mention also hit some very touchy subjects using satire and humor.  One of my favorite parts, probably a lot of peoples favorite part, was when the Roman soldier was giving Brian grammar lessons when he was painting the walls of the ROMAN temple.  This film completely mocked the beliefs and teachings of Jesus Christ.  I knew what this movie was referencing the entire time because I grew up in a Catholic family.  I didn't take any of these jokes to hear, don't worry.  I have seen plenty of Monty Python movies in the past, and I know his type of humor.  One of the parts I didn't understand was when they were breaking into the Roman fortress and they were in the sewer and called it "Caesar's Memorial Sewer."  I'm not sure what this theme was.  My best guess is "over-bureaucratization" the Romans thought they were superior towards everyone else, an the most superior men in the world.  I think this was referring to an over-bureaucratization nation we lived in, and still live in.  Bureaus and institutions think they are so superior in this life.  That is just my guess on that part of the movie though.  One of my other favorite parts was when the man on the rock was preaching what is called the Beatitudes and the people all the way in the back couldn't really hear and were just guessing what he was saying.  They misheard and thought he said, "blessed are the cheese makers..."  I got a chuckle out of that.

Life of Brian wasn't my favorite Monty Python movie but I still enjoyed watching it.  Yes, this took a stab at my religion, but like I said previously its all in good fun and jokes. I do recommend it to people who want a good laugh and to see satire being used in religion.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it was a funny film. However, I feel that you might have missed what the makers intended to criticize. The Pythons were criticizing people who follow religions blindly without thinking for themselves. That's why they make Brian say that the crowd following him are individuals and different. They intentionally did not want to criticize Jesus in any way, shape, or form.

    ReplyDelete