Saturday, February 2, 2013

Life of Brian



          To start off this movie was nothing like I thought it was going to be. By reading the reviews for Monty Python’s Life of Brian I was expecting something a little different. The movie started out by showing the three wise men from the famous biblical story coming to bring gifts to be new born Savior. Little did they know, the three wise men were not led to the right stable. They said to the woman a star had brought them there and could not possibly be wrong. The woman went along with the story even though she knew they were in the wrong place. After the gifts had been given the wise men were about to leave, they realized they were in the wrong place and took the gifts to the right place. The little baby in the stables name was Brian. As we soon find out he is the main character of the movie.
            The next scene shows Brian and his mother in the very back of the crowd listening to one of the most important speeches in history. But, since they are so far back they can’t hear anything. What they can hear is getting muffled by all the people being so loud and not really listening to what is being said. Brian eventually get mixed up in some big mess after selling some snacks to people at an even at the coliseum. Brian eventually gets crucified for all the wrong reasons.
            I must admit I did not like this movie as much as the other two we have watched. The way the humor was presented was not what I was expecting at all and did not really make me laugh. This type of humor is just not something that I enjoy watching. From reading the reviews I thought the jokes were going to be really in your face and happen at a fast pace. I also was not fond of this movie because for me it was hard to understand what the actors were saying. By not being able to easily tell what was being said it made the jokes have less of an impact.
            Overall this movie is honestly not one I would watch again. It’s not that the movie was bad; it was just not something that I personally like. Yes, it did have some parts that caught me off guard such as when one of the members of the group of people in the black cloaks said he wanted to be a girl and keep standing up for women’s rights because he wanted to be one. I was not expecting that at all. In the time period this movie was set that never would have happened. Even in the 70s when this movie was made this is not something that was very common. Another part that made me kind of chuckle at just how crazy this movie was when at the very end the guy started singing “ always look at the bright side of life”. This was very ironic considering they were all hanging of a giant cross. This movie had some surprising parts and some that I personally just did not find funny. But will still lead to a good discussion in class.

2 comments:

  1. You should try to watch a movie going blind into it. Meaning don't read any reviews. Go in with a fresh mind and is not shrouded by a mind full of expectations. This works for me. Maybe it works for others maybe it doesn't. But I do agree. It is not the best humor or movie in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget the expectation essays, Madelaine. She probably read the reviews for that.

    ReplyDelete