Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Importance of Being Earnest

You know, I didn't find this film incredibly funny, but I really enjoyed it in general.  I really liked the big picture and the plot of The Importance of Being Earnest.  To be honest, I wish I could be like Ernest (Jack until the end of the movie) and make up an imaginary family member who was in need of my presence, and leave town for however long I wanted.  Algernon, his actual brother calls people who live a double life a "Bunburyist."  Algernon feels kind of envious of Earnest so he decides to live a double life too.  I guess it all worked out because Cecily had been thinking about Earnest's brother even before she had met him.  She supposedly, even got engaged to him, I found that quite amusing,  because Algernon, acting as Ernest's brother just goes with it.  I think the main theme is this movie is the satire of the upper class and high end living.  I was actually reading a summary after viewing the film and the author of the summary brought up a great point.  He said none of the characters have a real description of depth in character, which is conveying the upper class one dimensional lifestyle.  I agree completely with this.  An example, could be when Gwendolen's mother is "interrogating" Ernest and once he has one flaw she immediately forbids the engagement.  Whereas, I believe a normal person would hear everything someone has to say about the love for their kids and then make a decision then.  In the end, everyone's secret came out and actually no ones feelings were hurt and Ernest found out that Lady Bracknell was actually his aunt.  Another theme I seemed to see was satire of marriage, I think Wilde portrayed this throughout the movie with marriage beings so lightly played with.  While marriage is a serious bond, this movie uses marriage as it is nothing important.  I liked when Algernon said, "the essence of romance is uncertainty."  I feel like that quote summed up the whole romance in this film.
Overall, The Importance of Being Earnest was a great film.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I think this is one of Oscar Wilde's best films, with a very interesting a fun plot but with enough satire to keep the audience entertained.  Honestly, I was very eager to see how the movie ended, and in my opinion the end was the best part.         

1 comment:

  1. Completely agree with the point you made about how flippantly the characters treated marriage in this film. I would like to add that Bunbury is a fake invalid friend that Algy made up, he serves a function similar to Jack's earnest: he is Algy's excuse to get out of commitments. I also agree that this movie was meant to be a satire of the upper class in society.

    ReplyDelete