Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Gods Must Be Crazy

The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980) was one of my favorite movies by far this semester.  I think they're are three main plots that all tie into the end.  The first one is the "evidence of gods" and also a critique of modern society.  They find the coca cola bottle in the middle of the desert.  It is like a revelation to Xi who basically knows nothing about life outside his family.  But the only thing the coke bottle does is bring turmoil to the tribe.  I think this is a great critique of modern society, everyone has unlimited wants, but there is only limited resources.  We all want the latest and greatest gadgets and items but in reality we can't have everything we want.  One of my favorite parts is when Xi meets Kate and Andrew for the first time.  He assumes they are gods because he has never seen white people, jeeps, or the clothes they were wearing.  One of the other plots is a political uprising which is needless to say crazy.  I think the underlying themes in The Gods Must Be Crazy is the turmoil of modern civilization.  It all comes down to the beginning of the move with the coke bottle.  The Bushmen were living in harmony until this unusual even took place.  Even with a simple coca cola bottle from modern society comes into a outcast tribe it has its effects on them.  They want Xi to throw it off the edge of the earth.  In my opinion when you even have a hint of modern ways come into your group I think it can either go two ways, good or bad.  This movie just kept on unraveling and presents modern civilization's strange aspects of life and living.  I like how they assume that everything happens in the sky have to be the gods.  Like if there is a thundering sound but no clouds they think gods have just eaten. 
All and all I really enjoyed this movie, in my opinion I think there are tribes even today who don't know about the modern world and would act the same way as depicted in this movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment